GCSAA Chapter Outreach Grant Program
Although GCSAA dedicates considerable resources to national outreach, those efforts alone are not enough to achieve desired results. For this reason, GCSAA has established a fund to help chapters engage in activities that complement its efforts to communicate the value of membership to key constituents, primarily golfers and employers.
2014 Chapter Outreach Grant recipients
The recipients of the 2014 Chapter Outreach Grants represent a wide variety of geographical areas and offer up examples of how outreach can be executed in many ways. The following chapters were awarded grants in 2014:
- Alabama GCSA: To produce a video celebrating the profession to be used as a marketing piece for the association and profession. The video would also be used to market the chapter's Rounds 4 Research efforts.
- GCSA of Central California: To present a Symposium on Affordable Golf.
- Central Florida GCSA: To develop a professional brochure that would market the benefits of joining the association and be distributed to golf pros, GMs, owners and other club officials.
- Florida GCSA: To participate the Golf Florida Alliance's creation of brochures and handouts that promote the alliance and FGCSA.
- Heart of America GCSA: To develop a media package to promote HAGCSA and Rounds 4 Research that includes Kansas City-area publication Tee Times Golf Guide and Midwest Golf Talk Radio).
- Hi-Lo Desert GCSA: To assist in creation of of a Coachella Valley Golf Industry Economic and Environmental Impact Study to be able to share the positive impact of the golf industry. Additionally, develop a public outreach campaign that addresses the value of superintendents and their water conservation efforts.
- Metropolitan GCSA: To promote their recently created BMP study and share it with golf and government stakeholders.
- Michigan GCSA: To participate in Michigan Golf Day, a legislative golf day at the state capitol where they partner with the Michigan Golf Course Owners, Michigan PGA Section, Golf Association of Michigan and Michigan Club Managers.
- GCSA of New England: To host a local Field Day to demonstrate dedication to BMPs and overall promotion of the game and profession.
- Philadelphia Association of GCS: To produce a video to be shared with the golfing community promoting the golf course superintendent profession.
- GCSA of South Dakota: To promote the chapter through an agreement with the South Dakota Golf Association to have the SDGCSA logo placed on water bottles used by all players at SDGA golf events in 2014.
The GCSAA communications department determines that each application meets the guidelines for eligibility and then a GCSAA member task group reviews all applications.
The following criteria will be used for outreach awards in 2015:
- A chapter may receive an award only once every three years.
- The chapter must start its outreach activities within two calendar years. For example: awards granted in 2015 must be used by the end of 2016.
- The chapter must provide matching funds equal to the amount requested. For example: A request of $1,500 must be equaled by at least $1,500 from the chapter.
- Funds must be requested for future programs and not retroactively for past efforts.
- Each chapter must provide a brief follow-up report to help the GCSAA staff create a database of case studies and best management practices. If a chapter does not submit a follow-up report, it will be ineligible for consideration of an outreach grant in the future.
- GCSAA reserves the right to request the return of outreach funds if not used in accordance of the guidelines as detailed on the application.
- The grant request must be submitted and signed by the chapter president and at least one other chapter officer or staff member.
- Funds will not be approved to supplement current staff salaries. However, funds will be considered for freelance support or intern stipends to work on a specific communications outreach project.
- Any chapter request may not exceed $3,000.
For more information
Contact Craig Smith, director of communications and media relations, at 800-472-7878, ext. 4431, or firstname.lastname@example.org.