EXCEL Leadership Program
The EXCEL Leadership Program offers leadership training for personal, career, and community/industry stewardship for assistant superintendents; the future leaders in the golf course management industry. Applications for the 2021 program are now closed.
E — Educating golf industry leaders of tomorrow.
X — Cross-training opportunities so they can share what they have learned.
C — Creating community leaders who serve more than take.
E — Encouraging future leaders through advisory boards and councils.
L — Developing leaders who will mentor others.
The EXCEL Leadership Program features two, two-day education and training sessions and a trip to the annual GCSAA Conference and Trade Show for assistant golf course superintendents. The education and travel for 2021 includes:
- Fall Meeting, GCSAA Headquarters, Oct. 26-28, Lawrence, KS
- GCSAA Conference and Trade Show, Feb. 5-10, 2022, San Diego
- Spring Meeting, TBD
To be considered, a GCSAA Class C member must complete the application and respond to two pre-selected essay questions. Up to eight assistant superintendents will be selected for this opportunity to develop their leadership skills over a three-year period.
Applicants must be:
- Currently employed as an assistant golf course superintendent within the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) or Canada.
- A Class C member of GCSAA
- Able to participate for three full years
- Not be working for current members of the GCSAA Board of Directors or GCSAA Foundation Board of Trustees, children of GCSAA or Nufarm staff, or current employees of those organizations.
- Hunter Brewer, Auburn University Turf in Auburn, Ala.
- Nicholas Carothers, Richland Country Club in Nashville, Tenn.
- Chad Gilkison, Cherry Creek Country Club in Denver, Colo.
- Anthony Minniti, Inness NY LLC in New York, N.Y.
- Brett Oxley, Red Tail Run Golf Club in Decatur, Ill.
- Daniel Palin, The Club at Arrow Creek in Reno, Nev.
- Conrad Pannkuk, Hallbrook Country Club in Shawnee Mission, Kan.
- Marty Savage, Broken Tee Golf Course in Englewood, Colo.
- Mike Teatum, Meadow Brook Club in Jericho, N.Y.
- Kyle Gentry, Pinehurst #2 at Pinehurst Resort in Pinehurst, N.C.
- Carey Hofner, The Club at Cordillera in Edwards, Colo.
- Kendra Kiss, On Par Turf in Aurora, Ontario, Canada
- Mark Lyon, Teton Pines Resort and Country Club in Jackson, Wyo.
- Evan McFadden, Martis Camp Club in Truckee, Calif.
- Nicholas Mortara, Richter Park Golf Course in Danbury, Conn.
- Aaron Cabanaw, Interlachen Country Club in Edina, Minn.
- Charles Cecil, Palmetto Golf Club in Aiken, S.C.
- Tanner Duncan, Corte Bella Golf Club in Sun City West, Ariz.
- Ethan Howard, The Ridge at Castle Pines North in Castle Rock, Colo.
- Miranda Robinson, Cordova Bay Golf Course in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Madison Rudsinski, Paradise Valley Country Club in Paradise Valley, Ariz.
- Lora West, Hillcrest Country Club in Los Angeles, Calif.
- Kalman Zaranec, Circling Raven Golf Club in Worley, Idaho