EXCEL Leadership Program
The EXCEL Leadership Program offers leadership training for personal, career, and community/industry stewardship for assistant superintendents; the future leaders in the golf course management industry. Applications for the 2021 program are now closed.
E — Educating golf industry leaders of tomorrow.
X — Cross-training opportunities so they can share what they have learned.
C — Creating community leaders who serve more than take.
E — Encouraging future leaders through advisory boards and councils.
L — Developing leaders who will mentor others.
The EXCEL Leadership Program features two, two-day education and training sessions and a trip to the annual GCSAA Conference and Trade Show for assistant golf course superintendents. The education and travel for 2021 includes:
- Fall Meeting, GCSAA Headquarters, Oct. 26-28, Lawrence, KS
- GCSAA Conference and Trade Show, Feb. 5-10, 2022, San Diego
- Spring Meeting, TBD
To be considered, a GCSAA Class C member must complete the application and respond to two pre-selected essay questions. Up to eight assistant superintendents will be selected for this opportunity to develop their leadership skills over a three-year period.
Applicants must be:
- Currently employed as an assistant golf course superintendent within the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii) or Canada.
- A Class C member of GCSAA
- Able to participate for three full years
- Not be working for current members of the GCSAA Board of Directors or GCSAA Foundation Board of Trustees, children of GCSAA or Nufarm staff, or current employees of those organizations.
- Jens Arneson, Maple Bluff Country Club in Madison, Wis.
- Travis M. Cook, The Country Club of Birmingham in Birmingham, Ala.
- Phillip A. Fischer, Brickyard Crossing Golf Course in Indianapolis, Ind.
- Zachary Fleeger, Wentworth Golf Club in Jackson, NH.
- Richard K. Haines, Groundsand Sports Turf Manager at Lake Forest Academy in Lake Forest, IL.
- Stephen Hicks, Brantford Golf & Country Club in Brantford, Ontario, Canada
- Joshua S. Lemons, North Oaks Golf Club in North Oaks, MN.
- Jessica K. Lenihan, Hayden Lake Country Club in Hayden, ID.
- Tyler R. LePore, Park City, UT.
- Mitchell E. Savage, CommonGround Golf Course in Aurora, Colo.
- Steven Shavel, Raymond Memorial Golf Club in Columbus, Ohio
- Hunter Brewer, FarmLinks Golf Club in Sylacauga, Ala.
- Nicholas Carothers, Richard Country Club in Nashville, TN.
- Chad Gilkison, Cherry Creek Country Club in Denver, Colo.
- Anthony Minniti, Inness NY LLC in New York, N.Y.
- Brett Oxley, Richter Park Golf Course in Danbury, CT.
- Daniel Palin, The Club at Arrow Creek in Reno, Nev.
- Conrad Pannkuk, Hallbrook Country Club in Shawnee Mission, KS.
- Marty Savage, Broken Tee Golf Course in Engelwood, Colo.
- Mike Teatum, Meadow Brook Club in Jericho, N.Y.
- Aaron Butler, Onwentsia Club, Lake Forest, Ill.
- Kyle Gentry, Pinehurst #2 at Pinehurst Resort in Pinehurst, N.C.
- Carey Hofner, The Club at Cordillera in Edwards, Colo.
- Kendra Kiss, Dol Turf in Aurora, Ontario, Canada
- Mark Lyon, Teton Pines Resort and Country Club in Jackson, Wyo.
- Evan McFadden, Martis Camp Club in Truckee, CA.
- Nicholas Mortara, Richter Park Golf Course in Danbury, Conn.
- Billy Schmohl, Glenwild Golf Club and Spa in Park City, Utah