Melrose programs for superintendents, equipment managers provide professional development, networking and educational opportunities
Lawrence, Kan. (Nov. 8, 2022) – Thanks to funding from the Kendrick B. Melrose Family Foundation, 12 members of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA) will have the opportunity to attend the 2023 GCSAA Conference and Trade Show, Feb. 6-9, in Orlando, Fla.
The Melrose Leadership Academy supports the professional development of GCSAA superintendent members while the Melrose Equipment Management Experience provides professional development for GCSAA equipment managers. Both programs are administered through the GCSAA Foundation, the philanthropic organization of GCSAA.
The Kendrick B. Melrose Family Foundation was founded by the late Ken Melrose, former CEO and chairman of Toro Co., and longtime friend and supporter of GCSAA. The Melrose Leadership Academy was established in 2012 followed by the Melrose Equipment Management Experience in 2019. Both programs provide valuable learning experiences, professional development, networking and educational opportunities for superintendents and equipment managers and, in turn, improve the future of the golf course management industry.
Participants in both Melrose programs are chosen through an application process based on financial need, involvement in communities through volunteer efforts and a drive to progress in their careers. Seven superintendents have been chosen for the 2023 Melrose Leadership Academy and five equipment managers have been chosen for the 2023 Melrose Equipment Management Experience.
“The Melrose Leadership Academy and the Melrose Equipment Management Experience each provide unparalleled career-enhancing opportunities for golf course industry professionals,” GCSAA CEO Rhett Evans said. “The participants of the 2023 Melrose programs will make lasting connections in the industry and gain knowledge that they can carry over to their home courses. Congratulations to the latest Melrose programs participants.”
The members of the 2023 Melrose Leadership Program are:
- Brent Barnum of Eagle Vail Golf Club in Avon, Colo.
- David Golembeski of Newtown Country Club in Newtown, Conn.
- Russ Grover of Buffalo Hill Golf Club in Kalispell, Mont.
- Richard Gullion of Glenview Golf Club in Cincinnati, Ohio
- Duncan McGowan of Sharon Country Club in Sharon, Conn.
- Colin Smethurst, CGCS, of Hillview Golf Course in North Reading, Mass.
- Reese Wasson of Spook Rock Golf Course in Suffern, N.Y.
The members of the 2023 Melrose Equipment Management Experience are:
- Matt Dell of Todd Creek Golf Club in Thornton, Colo.
- Christopher Fogg of The Richmond Golf Club of Sudbrook Lane in Richmond, United Kingdom
- Brian Harper of Pendleton Golf Club in Ruther Glen, Va.
- Cuan Hendricken of Needwood Golf Course in Derwood, Md.
- Jordan Roth of Champions Run in Omaha, Neb.
For more information on the Melrose Leadership Academy and the Melrose Equipment Management Experience, visit www.gcsaa.org/foundation/education.