Over the past couple of months I've been able to gradually get back on the road — keeping social distancing guidelines a priority — to visit members and get their pulse on the state of the industry. Members have welcomed the outreach and have been willing to ask questions on the state of the industry and our members.
In all facets, golf is being played! High numbers are reported across the country. The National Golf Foundation shows strong data on number of rounds played in June and July. With many facilities facing limited labor with heavy play, this has put a stress on our members (and the course).
2020 has been quite a year.
Here are some observations from the road:
- Courses with limited food/beverage services are doing fairly well economically. The extra rounds are making up the difference.
- Members continue to balance time at the facility with family and unique work schedules, many times staggering shifts with their crew.
- Country Clubs continue to see revenue shortfalls from dining/events, but memberships are either steady or rising.
- Some facilities have had staff members who have suffered the virus. Steps have been taken to protect crewmembers and those affected.
- Members are welcoming to visits. Social distancing/masks policies are being followed
- Many facilities have hit 250 rounds/day. We will continue to observe this data as fall arrives and the days continue to shorten.
Chapter Delegates Meeting
The 2020 Chapter Delegates Meeting will be held virtually October 20-21. Roughly 3 hours/day is planned for the event. Important agenda items are on the docket, including updates on the Golf Industry Show, member dues discussion, updates on GCSAA services, and the opportunity for question/answer during the Town Hall.
Candidate presentations and breakout sessions will conclude the event. We will be using the Zoom platform for the event.
Please reach out to your chapter delegate if you have any items or topics to discuss.
Golf Industry Show
In mid-August, GCSAA officially announced that the Golf Industry Show, scheduled for Las Vegas in February, will be going to a virtual format. This will be unique, but don't worry! All of your favorite events and activities will be provided.
We continue to put the finishing touches on the schedule. A virtual trade show will take place, as well as plenty of education and networking opportunities. Registration will open in mid-October. We will continue to provide updates and information to you regarding the show.
This will be a can't-miss event and we hope to see you participating from your home or office computer!
Chapter Pulse and Strategic Playbook
Our chapter outreach team has been working hard on your behalf throughout the crazy times. We have just completed a publication titled the Chapter Pulse and Strategic Playbook. The publication is geared for all chapters with great tips on building your events and operations successfully. Four areas are the focus.
- Event Planning
Tips from GCSAA members and staff are provided to ensure chapter events are run successfully. We are currently distributing these materials to chapter leaders. If this is something you would like as an individual member, please reach out to us. These tips can assist chapters, associations, and facilities.
We wish everyone success during these unique times. GCSAA is there to serve you, our members. It is the key component of our mission statement.